Friday, January 22, 2010

pottery

I started a pottery internship and decided to make this a poetry and pottery blog. So, he is my first pottery entry and pictures.
I have the privilege of learning the art of pottery with my friend Patti Olson. It is a wonderful opportunity and i am very excited. I feel alive and awake again for the first time in a long time. Working with my hands to build something out of a lump of clay is amazing.
As a Christian, Patti believes pottery is an act of prayer. Thus learning from her is an act of prayer. I meditate on different Scriptures and pray while wedging clay and throwing. One thing that she recommended was coming to the wheel with peace not anxiety, frustration or anger. These will show in the pieces you throw. This connected with me on a deep level as a new parent. If i come to parenting with anger or frustration it will show in my son. Viewing Shiloh as a piece of clay to be shaped or molded in love, calmness and peace is very helpful.
Thus far i have had two lessons with Patti. The first was basic knowledge of clay and throwing. The second lesson was recapping throwing basics and talking about the three basic shapes: cylinder/cup, bowl and plate. I learned the cylinder/cup and threw 8 pieces and kept the best. I learned a little bit of how to trim as well.
Check back here for updates and photos. I am absolutely thrilled at learning this skill and cannot wait to learn more with my dad who is a potter. Enjoy the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment