Thursday, March 11, 2010

pottery: week 8 and 9

It is hard to believe that I have been learning pottery with Patti for 2 months already. I have been so grateful for this opportunity and am excited to see where all of this ends up.

Last week I learned how to pull handles as well as how to do sgraffito! Patti showed me two methods of pulling handles. The first was using a roller and doing more of a handbuilding method. The second is called 'pulling the handle of the pot' and is a lot like milking a cow! I was distracted and tired when I first tried this method and did not like it at all. After a few minutes, singing some songs, something changed and I pulled my first dozen handles. I had fun putting as many handles on a wedge of clay and it ended up looking like a very abstract trumpet.

One of my vases turned out to be more like a mug. I picked out my three favorite handles and then my favorite from those. I applied it using the scratch and slip method. Then I got to play with white and blue slips on my mug and plate. Patti had told me about sgraffito previously and had shown me some pieces in which she used sgraffito. Sgraffito is when you use carving tools to carve the clay and slip or glaze. The possibilities are endless. I practiced on my plate and was inspired by my dad. He had a practice of making a plate for each of his children which had their name and birthdate. I decided to make one for Shiloh. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera so you will have to wait for pictures!

Patti's son and daughter in love were in town this week so I am taking the week off. In the meantime I have been writing every day and am excited to post some more poetry, reflections, essays, etc. on here in the near future. Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment