Thursday, February 10, 2011

glazing pics and video



One beautiful thing about pottery is it requires you to slow down and do things well. Or at least if you want the best results. This is definitely true of glaze mixing and application. For our first round of glazing we have chosen four glazes from Bill Van Gilder's 'Wheel Thrown Pottery' book. The glazes are all cone 6. I used these glazes at my dad's back in May when I did my first glaze firing.




We decided to go the make your own glaze route because it is definitely the less expensive route. I do not really understand the chemistry of glazes but the mixing of it is a lot like baking. Each glaze recipe lists the main ingredients, which add up to 100%, with colorants in addition. We decided to make some big batches because we intend to use these glazes often.




I made a video that demonstrates the basic glaze application process but it is too big to upload. So you get the short verson. If nothing else it is entertaining.



No comments:

Post a Comment