Sunday, January 29, 2012

Been a while


(a few mugs I made in December)



Hello world!

It has been quite a while since I have posted anything here. There has been a lot happening in my life and here is a wee update.

Last year I started selling some pottery on facebook. I did pretty well and had quite a few orders for Christmas gifts (thanks everyone!). I also got a job at the local UPS store, which has turned into a full time gig (thanks!). My wife is 34 weeks pregnant with our second child!!! Woohoo!

So, all that equates to being very busy with minimal time for pottery. I bought a Brent wheel and sold my Thomas Stuart wheel all in the same week. For now pottery is more or less on hold. I am still hoping to throw and fire but also realize this season may not be a pottery season for me. I am so excited to be a papa again and be reminded of how wonderful it is to shape the clay of a newborn's soul!

**************************************************************************************************

Lately I have been reading The Prophets by Abraham Joshua Heschel. In one chapter he discusses man's obsession and worship of might. This stimulated some thoughts which I wrote in my journal. I hope they stimulate some thoughts in you.

"We are drawn to and blinded by power. We long to be powerful and recognized by others who are less powerful. All this to try to feel valued, needed and accepted. All this to numb the pain of being a weak, lonely orphan.
God's plan is so foreign to us. He, the most powerful, became nothing in order to save us, raise us up and give us true authority as his sons. He showed us the Way of absorbing violence rather than welding it on others. He taught us the Truth of humility as the greatest power. He lived the Life of true love that lays down one's life so that others can truly live."

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment