Thursday, February 4, 2010

Pottery: bowls and trimming

The latest thing I am learning and practicing is throwing bowls. Out of the few things I have done I enjoy bowls the best. The important factor with bowls is to have in mind a shape for the interior from the very beginning. After you throw it and prepare to trim you have to remember the interior shape. The interior determines the exterior.

The process is very similar to cylindrical shape up until you pull the clay out. I have a lot to learn about this process. I was very tired Friday so I threw four bowls. Of these I kept three to practice trimming. I went in this Tuesday and spent most of my time trimming these three bowls. I really enjoy trimming and have a lot to learn. Right now I am getting more used to the trimming process and tools. I am still not very good at 'feeling' out how much clay I have taken off or how much is left. I was very pleased with two of the bowls and hope to fire them.

As I threw and trimmed the bowls I reflected on how life has been lately. It seemed to me that God was saying the last two years have been a focus on our interior life-our character. The last two years have been challenging in many ways. One of the main things we wrestled with was the temptation to compromise our integrity and character. All who have journeyed with us have commented on how we conducted ourselves throughout everything. God has been shaping our interior. We are now in a much different season that I liken to trimming. It seems like we have been 'losing' a lot of things but that it is intentional. God is trimming our exterior like a master potter to match the interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment