Sunday, February 7, 2010

Pottery: more bowls


This Friday I had the option of learning how to throw plates or to take a challenge with throwing bowls. I opted for the challenge which was a practice in precision throwing. The challenge was to wedge 2 pounds of clay and throw 5 bowls. Starting at 4inches each bowl was to be 1/2 in wider.
The object of the challenge was to practice precision throwing. This is a necessary skill to have in pottery. Up to this point I have been throwing shapes but with no guidelines or limitations. Patti had one instructor that had her make 75 identical pieces and then destroyed all but the best 5. This practice helped her learn precision throwing. Though she will not be giving me the same lesson, I will be doing more small scale precision 'challenges.'

I got to see my first two fired pieces. It is encouraging to see them and what I have thrown since. I am encouraged with the improvements even in the last few weeks. I am planning on taking Tuesday to trim the 5 bowls I threw Friday and hopefully keeping the best ones.

This Friday was fun because my wife Dana and son Shiloh stopped by to watch me throw a bowl. I then did my best to try and teach Dana a few things. She threw one bowl which I juggled Shiloh and tried to give her instructions. We hope pottery can be a family craft/trade in the coming years. Dana is a natural artist and I know she would pick up pottery quickly. I am excited to learn some more aspects of pottery like design, glazing and firing. One step at a time....

No comments:

Post a Comment